Patliputara Medical College & Hospital

Origin of Patliputra Medical College

Established in 1971 as Patliputra Medical College at Ashok Raj Path Patna city, the college was under private management Later on due to paucity of adjacent hospital Govt. of Bihar transferred the college to Dhanbad and attached the Sadar Hospital, court more campus Dhanbad, SSLNT hospital Purana Bazaar Dhanbad and Central Hospital Jagjeevan Nagar Dhanbad (Govt. of India, under dept. of labor welfare) for teaching purpose.

For expansion of medical college and hospital around 60 acres of land was acquired at Saraidhela Dhanbad where new buildings were constructed for medical college (functional from 1977) and hospital (functional from 2001-2002) with capacity of 500 beds.

At present this hospital at Saraidhela campus has all clinical departments except surgery and orthopedics which are still functioning in old building at Sadar hospital campus, court more Dhanbad.

Presently the annual admission in M.B.B.S course is 50 since 1977, which is likely to increase to 100 along with commencement of post graduation in different subjects.

The college has facility for paramedical training courses in different streams. The hospital provides medical facilities to about 1000 OPD patients per day who comes from adjoining districts and state.